Skip to main content

Do not let the world make you hard.

I work in the ICU. Ben is a police officer. As you can imagine, we both see people at their absolute worst and there are some days I feel like I've become a cold person. I go home with a sense of complete and utter disappointment in humanity. So many people are unfixable... nothing we do in an attempt to fix them will ever be enough because they just aren't willing to help themselves. It can be so unbelievably frustrating. 

And I hate when I catch myself being judgemental and heartless. I've never been in the shoes of these people and therefore have no business judging them. 

One day, I remember going home so frustrated with my patients... after Ben listened to me bitch about my day, he said some things that have stuck with me since. He reminded me that most people are good... that the ones we see are undergoing a difficult time and, although they may disappoint us, we cannot umbrella everyone else in this category. Most people are good. On that day, what he told me was exactly the opposite of what I wanted to hear... I wanted him to agree with me... but this is exactly why I love this man. He says what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. 

So days I start feeling all of the above, I think of that conversation and of this quote... I hope it sticks with you as much as it did with me. They are words I try to live by everyday. 

Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place. 

Comments