Skip to main content

My Broken Love Affair

I know I'm so late talking about this... a month late... but my goodness time flies by... there just aren't enough hours in a day.

Marathon Monday came and went and of course I spent my day at work... although, to be honest, I don't think I would have ventured out to Boston on April 17th even if I had the day off... waaaaaay too many people.

It's hard to believe 4 years have passed since such a historical event in our city was bombed. I remember sitting in my car in the parking lot of PA school, listening to the news broadcasts, mesmerized and unable to pry myself away to go to class. Like most, I was shocked to have something so tragic happen so close to home. Sure, I've seen the news and know many countries live in fear for their lives on a daily basis, but not us. We're supposed to be safe. We aren't supposed to be attacked in broad day light, surrounded by thousands of people. But we did. And my heart broke that day. 
But one of the reasons I love Boston is because of how strong its people are. They can be struck by tragedy, personally invaded in their own home, completely devastated... and still find a way to come out on top. We are strong, stand together, pick up the broken pieces and keep moving forward. 

I can't remember exactly when my love affair with Boston began. It probably started when I was a child, piling in the car and heading to the city for a day walking around Faneuil Hall. Or maybe at the airport where I sat with excitement waiting to take off for vacation. My love grew stronger during the many sporting events, concerts, and Quincy Market street entertainer shows. But I think what really sealed the deal between us were the simple walks, getting lost in the twists and turns... discovering the most intimate coffee shops and cobble stone streets. 

I grew up just outside of the city, but Boston will always hold a piece of my heart and will always be "home." It's a place that holds so many memories. 

Memories of laughing and getting to known each other.
Introducing a little puppy to a big city (after all, she came from a town in the middle of no where).
So many "welcome homes."
And too many "goodbyes." 
Red Sox games, Bruins games and birthday celebrations. 
David Ortiz said it best. "This is our f*cking city. And nobody is going to dictate our freedom."

Comments