Skip to main content

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

The New England cold weather starts to get really old between February and April... every once in a while we even get a surprise snowstorm after the daffodils bloom... so a trip to Punta Cana in April was impeccable timing

I've been to multiple Caribbean resorts and all have put their own flair on the same things... all inclusive food and drinks, pool bars, beaches and entertainment at night. I never even thought to do more research before booking a resort besides perusing pictures and reading a few ratings until I booked our stay at Zoetry Agua.
 
This place was picture perfect. Beautiful rooms that looked like your own personal spa. Beaches that belong on post cards. Yummy drinks out of coconuts we watched being cut down from palm trees. Staff who bent over backwards for their guests. Perfection... that stopped after you ate dinner and the place became far too quiet for us. If you know me and my family, you know we like to dance and have a good time and we were slightly disappointed that our resort did not have any night life to speak of. Sooooo... we improvised and played Pandora at the bar and still had an amazing vacation.
Lesson learned: spontaneously booking is great but research more first!

I don't think there's a hobby I like more than sitting under palm trees, listening to the waves, and reading a good book... with an occasional nap in between... which is exactly what I did every day.


Scary story... Ben and I went for a long walk on the beach and decided to have some fun in the waves. After about 15 minutes we decided to start heading in... well, we couldn't. We were swimming and not moving forward. I like to think we are both relatively athletic people but the undertow was no joke and the water had other plans for us. I could feel the panic setting in as I swallowed a few mouthfuls of salt water and kept replaying Ben's words to stay calm and relaxed in my head. Thank God some local people spotted us and helped us get back to shore safely. Two men helped me and another floated a surfboard out to Ben.  Talk about an eye opener. Then we started to walk back towards our resort and found a perfect sand dollar... sign of good luck? I like to think so.


We spent days drinking fruity cocktails at  the pool bar... and clearly, no one was  getting close to me with these three guys surrounding my every angle


Road horses down the beach

Learned to fly really big kites
Enjoyed quality family time

And laughed... a lot

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."






Comments